A recurrent scenario from a client's point of view
- I receive the new sensor (or another device or system from Imagine Optic).
- I connect the sensor to the PC without using the interface card delivered with the sensor.
- I run the setup file. Some cryptic messages will appear.
- I start the freshly installed software.
- The sensor is not found by the software.
- I need help!
Why can't the installation be as easy as installing an app on a smartphone?
Because our software needs to interface with hardware on a Windows system, which is a much less coherent environment than e.g. iOS or Android. In addition, lab computers often connect to other hardware and interference between drivers is common.
Our installation process will always be complex, since we interface with cameras and mirrors of lots of different vendors using many different hardware interfaces. We employ third party drivers, which we tested. However we cannot test every hardware and software combination possible and rely on you to forward any error message when asking for support at email@example.com.
Since there are less wavefront sensors sold than smartphones, we've got less people working on the 'user experience' and concentrate on what ultimately matters most: Accuracy and technical capability.
How to spend the least amount of time to get the sensor running?
As outdated as it sounds, please do open the manual and look at the installation part. It actually does contain essential information, without which the installation will probably fail for many sensor types.
From our experience it will cost much more time to
- try an installation without manual and ignore the error messages the first time and trying to repair the installation afterwards,
- than following the manual step by step at the first installation AND having installed any hardware interface (Ethernet, FireWire, USB3.0 card) delivered with the sensor.
We know our manuals are not entertaining and could be better in many ways. However, the essential information is already there in most cases.
But how can I get my sensor up and running?
The manual provides the best starting point. For many sensors it already includes a section about how to overcome the "camera not found error".
Please go through the following check lists, which one depends on your case:
If that doesn't help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or this website.